Now, Google Translate can work offline in 59 languages.
Google translation is one of the most useful apps on the internet. Nowadays language is not a bar between two friends communicating in two different language thanks to Google Translate and you can find stories on the internet that how this even helping people find love. This can be used for translate text, web pages. Google translator available in different formats as a website, an Android app, as Chrome plugin etc.
Two years ago a new technology was introduced for 'Google Translate'. This technology is known as neural machine translation or NMT, which can provide more accurate online translations. Google is now bringing this feature to Android and iOS device, and the coolest part is it can work in both offline and online devices. This will helps people working in the areas where internet is not available.
How does it work?
NMT system doesn't break the system as its predecessor (large-scale statistical machine translation, which uses statistical models to translate text) but translate the whole sentence at a time. The topic context to get a more relevant translation, then adjust the bits and pieces according to the grammar of that language that sounds more humanely.
Steps to use Google Translate offline:
- Go to your Translate app on Android or iOS.
- If you’ve used offline translations before, you’ll see a banner on your home screen which will take you to the right place to update your offline files.
- If not, go to your offline translation settings and tap the arrow next to the language name to download the package for that language.
- Now you’ll be ready to translate text whether you’re online or not.
These translations are a useful companion while traveling as it can translate between 59 languages without a local data plan. The only thing you need is to download the app which is around 20MB and download the needed language pack roughly sized 40 MB.
Other interesting features of Google Translate:
- Translate between 103 languages by typing
- Instant camera translation: Use your camera to translate text instantly in 38 languages
- Conversation Mode: Two-way instant speech translation in 32 languages
- Handwriting: Draw characters instead of using the keyboard in 93 languages
- Phrasebook: Star and save translations for future reference in any language