All you need to know about Web Browsers and Search Engines
The Internet is a vast sea of resources. To find something manually is pretty tough. That's why We use some software like web browsers, search engines which accelerates our speed searching the web and present the content in a well-organized way.
Web browsers commonly known as a browser is an application program/software that is used for accessing information available on the Internet. Each webpage contains HTML, audio, video files. A browser retrieves those files process them and display them in the local device.
Web Browsers may follow these steps:
- User inputs the URL(Universal Resource Locator), such as https://csehub.co.in/, into the browsers.
- The request for the resource is sent to the site.
- If the user is authorized then the resources are sent back a response to the request.
- If the user is unauthorized or the request is malformed then site sends respective error codes as a response.
- The browser takes the response and delivers it in a proper manner.
The first web browser, called WorldWideWeb, was invented in 1990 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee.
Ranking of top Web Browsers according to market shares Jan 2018(Source: Wikipedia):
- Google Chrome - 65.98%
- Mozilla Firefox - 11.87%
- Internet Explorer - 7.28%
- Safari - 5.87%
- Microsoft Edge - 4.11%
A website that is designed to search the internet for the intended contents using some keywords or pieces of information. The result could be a webpage, image, audio, video etc. Search engines not only search the information but also index the data for future queries (the search requests). Some search engine crawl websites by going through vast databases/web directories containing website addresses. Internet content that is not capable of being searched by a web search engine is generally described as the deep web.
Search Engines may follow these steps:
- Web crawling: Web crawling is a software that browses new sites/web addresses to include them in their database.
- Indexing: The process of adding new web addresses is known as Indexing. The storing is done in a systematic order using special file structures like inverted index structure etc.
- Searching: When a user submits a query to a search engine, the search engines use some algorithms( Natural Language Processing) to understand the user's query and find most suitable web-pages. This method is known as Searching.
The first Search Engine, called W3Catalog, was started in 1993.
Ranking of top search engines according to market shares June 2018(Source: Wikipedia):
- Google – 90.14%
- Bing – 3.24%
- Baidu - 2.18%
- Yahoo – 2.08%
- Ask – 0.05%
Difference between Web Browsers and Search Engines
|Web Browsers||Search Engines|
|1) Web Browser is a software that retrieves content from the internet and delivers to the local machine.||1) Search Engine a website that searches the Internet for a resources|
|2) Web Browser works on your local machine, and only local users can use it.||2) Search Engine stays on some web server.|
|3) One URL in web Browser can retrieve only one resource at a time.||3) Single Query of a search engine can generate millions of search results related to that query.|
|4) A browser is used to access the Internet||4) In order to open a search engine you need a browser.|
|5) Google Chrome is a Web Browser||5) Whereas Google.com is a search engine|